Knowledge Transfer Project
Project Managers and Supply Chain Managers
Do your project teams:
- Struggle to stay on budget and schedule?
- Deal with delays, frustrations, misunderstandings, and rework?
- Deliver equipment and materials incomplete, incorrect, and late?
- Scramble with challenges instead of achieve objectives?
- Feel proud of their accomplishments or relieved when it is over?
What is Knowledge Transfer
Knowledge transfer is the process by which experienced personnel share-distribute knowledge, skills and behaviors with colleagues, and with personnel who will replace them.
KT Project Vision
The vision of the KT Project is to provide essential guidelines and best practices to clients that support successful supply and service of projects by leveraging knowledge transfer.
KT Project Passion
The passion of the KT Project is to mitigate, minimize, and eliminate project challenges.
A Barrier to Project Success
The Supply Chain
The inability to efficiently manage a complex supply chain, and deliver projects on time and on budget is a major barrier to project success. Industry executives are more concerned about capital project predictability than ever. The Westney Consulting Group article Why Projects Overrun And What To Do About It states that many projects in the Canadian oil sands have experienced 50 to 100% cost overruns.
Cost overruns and schedule delays are not unique to oil sands projects. In fact, these challenges are experienced across all industries, especially on major projects. What project does not want to decrease costs and downtimes, increase efficiency and predictability, and improve competitiveness? Industry needs innovative, cost-effective solutions now more than ever.
Breaking Down the Barrier
Solutions and Guidelines for Project Success
Per Oil Sands Manufacturing by Canadian Manufacturer & Exporter (CME), the ability to deliver projects on time and on budget through efficient supply chains directly impacts investment decisions. As the primary solution, it recommends that detailed how-to guides be prepared to improve communications within the supply chain.
The KT Project is a premier provider of guidelines for the supply and delivery of successful projects. These documents offer owners, EP companies, suppliers, and others, with the best practices and resources needed to strengthen supply chains by improving communication and increasing understanding.
Guidelines for Successful Projects
The KT Project provides relevant, comprehensive, key documents (guidelines and best practices) to support the successful supply and service of oil and gas projects, and projects in other sectors (e.g., industrial, infrastructure, mining, and power). KT Project key documents are for an engineering and procurement (EP) company acting as an agent or a consultant for an owner-user or resource company. Guidelines key documents may also be applied by other organizations (e.g., consultants, constructors, distributors, fabricators, and manufacturers), with modifications where required to suit specific needs and work processes.
Replacing Lost Resources
New Talent and Knowledge Transfer Are Needed.
Since the 2014 economic downturn, the oil and gas industry continues to lose many talented professionals who cannot be replaced. Some are moving away or changing careers and thus will be unavailable for future hiring. Worse, this attrition is increasing as more baby boomers reach retirement age. With the loss of these resources, new talent alone simply cannot replace the experience and knowledge that leaves with them. New talent will need to be attracted and retained, and knowledge needs to be transferred from the existing to the new talent.
We Need Smart Boots More Than Smart Phones
Resources to Eliminate, Overcome, and Prevent Challenges
The KT Project provides resources that eliminate, overcome, and prevent project supply and delivery challenges, including:
- Best practices for common and atypical interactions and scenarios;
- Clear strategies to mitigate and reduce risk;
- Clearly-identified client- and project-specific requirements;
- Comprehensive definitions and descriptions for thousands of common industry and project terms;
- Easy-to-follow holistic flowcharts that illustrate and summarize general and specific steps for critical workflows, processes and procedures;
- Effective methods to eliminate and minimize quality and technical adversity;
- Guidance to increase value with continuous business;
- Industry- and discipline-specific guidelines that minimize unwanted variation;
- Proven methods to optimize team member alignment and focus;
- Proven rubrics (key knowledge) for profitable solutions developed from decades of experience;
- Step-by-step methods that standardize tasks;
- Strategic tactics that minimize costs and maintain conformance to schedules; and,
- Useful road maps to increase profit margins.
Project Managers and Supply Chain Managers
Do you need resources to:
- Address knowledge gaps?
- Avoid issues or achieve timely resolutions?
- Foster communication and understanding?
- Manage and mitigate risk?
- Save money and time?
KT Project Documents are Customizable
KT Project documents may be used as-is and are customizable. These documents can be rebranded with your organization’s logo and formatting. In addition, document contents may be customized to suit the specialized needs of your project or organization to include project-specific best practices, work processes and appropriate terminology.
We help capital projects in the energy and other industries implement best practices for knowledge transfer and project communication.
To discuss your project needs or learn more contact us. Or, read these insightful articles and downloadable eBooks:
Plan to Succeed
How to strengthen project teams and supply chains with knowledge transfer
Successful Projects Need Effective Communication
How to tackle a complex challenge with a simple solution
Effective Supplier Quality Surveillance (SQS)
How to reduce the frequency and magnitude of challenges with SQS